Friday, December 27, 2013

No More HEELs And No More FACEs


There is currently a report going around being attributed to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that Vince McMahon said in a recent creative meeting there were no longer heels and babyfaces because no one is completely bad or completely good in real-life. While I have no idea what Meltzer actually wrote or if Vince did or did not say this, the idea is nothing new.

The belief within WWE is characters are more complex today than they have been in years past. Just take a look at how Daniel Bryan answered the question in a recent Q&A with Grantland.com:
If you look back at the history of the top stars in the WWE, Hulk Hogan was a hero and “Stone Cold” Steve Austin was an antihero. What kind of hero is Daniel Bryan?
Wrestling’s so much more complex than that now, but if I had to describe myself in those terms, I’d say I’m a reluctant hero. If it were up to me, I’d be happy just to go out and do my job. My passion is the wrestling. I never pictured myself in the role I’m in now, but that’s the position I’ve been put in.
Bryan answered the question with the exact philosophy that’s in WWE, which isn’t a new revelation

0 comments:

Post a Comment